The oldest surviving building at Zoo Berlin opened in 1872 and is now one of its most recognisable landmarks. Back then, the approximately 2,000 m² animal house was an architectural sensation. Due to its impressive size and shape, it has always been a central attraction for visitors and the striking focal point of many vistas around the Zoo. When it first opened, the ultra-modern Neo-Moorish architectural style served to satisfy the wanderlust of Berliners at least a little – as travelling to the distant countries of origin of these exotic animals was not something most people were able to do.
Today, the impressive building is not only home to African ungulates such as giraffes and antelopes. Since 2016, it has also housed the permanent exhibition “Berlin Zoo Histories”, which provides insight into the over 175-year history of Germany’s oldest zoo.
The animal residents here include: