We very much hope that your visit to the Zoologischer Garten Berlin is an unforgettable experience for you. Please be considerate of the other visitors and to the particular needs of our animals.
We would also like to ask you to carefully observe our rules, which constitute our Terms & Conditions (as of: 25.06.2015), so that any misunderstandings can be avoided and potential violations prevented.
Terms and Conditions
We want your visit to the zoo to be an unforgettably positive experience. Please respect your fellow visitors and the particular needs of our animals.
In addition, we would ask you to strictly observe the following rules, which form part of our general terms and conditions (last revised: 01.06.2015) to minimise the risk of misunderstandings and violations.
1. The Zoo and its grounds are private property. The Zoo exercises its code of conduct across the entire site, including the buildings situated thereon. The Board may delegate its powers to other officials of the Zoo/Aquarium.
2. Directives of Zoo/Aquarium staff intended to keep the Zoo running smoothly or to enforce the code of conduct are to be followed at all times.
3. Violations of the code of conduct and directives issued by the staff will in all cases result in a warning and, in repeated or serious cases, a ban on entering the premises. Serious cases include, in particular:
• The carrying of weapons and items that can be used as weapons,
• The threat or use of physical force,
• Intentional damage to property, vandalism,
• The fouling of buildings and grounds,
• Abusive and insulting behaviour towards other visitors, users and staff,
• The carrying and consumption of drugs,
• The carrying and consumption of alcohol outside the designated restaurant and refreshment facilities,
Anyone who does not leave the site in spite of requests by staff of the Zoo / Aquarium to do so will be liable to prosecution for trespass.
4. The entrance fee will not be refunded in such cases.
5. Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG and its staff assume no supervisory obligations towards persons who are in need of supervision. Please brief the persons entrusted to you about the code of conduct before your visit. We urge you to carry out your supervisory duty from the outset in order to prevent accidents and damage, etc.
6. In the case of visitor groups with persons who require supervision, the person in the group who has the principal supervisory responsibility is obliged to disclose their name, the institution or school to which the group belongs and the number of the mobile phone they are carrying with them to Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
7. The Zoo/Aquarium may not generally be used as a venue for events. Events of all kinds require the prior written consent of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
8. Parts of the Zoo grounds are camera-monitored for safety and zoo keeping reasons. The areas in question are visibly marked. If you have any questions regarding the scope and purpose of the storage of video recordings, please contact our customer information desk. The data will be deleted at regular intervals pursuant to Article 6(5) of the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG).
9. The personal data required for business transactions will be collected by Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG in accordance with the applicable statutory regulations (with particular reference to German privacy and teleservices data protection laws). The data will then be collected, stored, processed and used to the extent necessary for processing ticket orders under the terms of the contract.
1. General visits to the Zoo/Aquarium are permitted only within opening hours or periods of tacit approval. These hours will be announced in each case. Excepted from this regulation are tours or special events organised by the Zoo/Aquarium.
2. Visitors are not permitted to remain on the premises outside opening hours. In the event of infringement we reserve the right to prosecute visitors for trespassing.
3. The animal enclosures and pavilions close half an hour before the end of the opening hours.
1. The Zoo may be entered only with a valid admission ticket at the following entrances:
• Elephant Gate entrance, Budapester Straße 34, 10787 Berlin,
• Lion Gate entrance, Hardenbergplatz 13, 10787 Berlin.
2. Visits to the Zoo Aquarium are likewise permitted only with a valid admission ticket. Tickets are to be purchased at the main entrance, Budapester Straße 32, 10787 Berlin, or the park-side entrance to the Zoo Aquarium.
3. All visitors must be in possession of a valid admission ticket.
4. The ticket is to be kept, shown on request or, where appropriate, handed over for inspection. Day passes expire on departure from the Zoo/Aquarium.
5. Children under 12 years of age and persons who are not mature enough to respect the code of conduct or require permanent supervision due to their physical and mental condition must always be accompanied by an adult entrusted with the duty of care whilst on the premises of the Zoo.
6. A season ticket entitles the person named on the ticket to enter and stay in the Zoo during general opening hours until the expiry date specified on the ticket.
Season tickets are non-transferable and valid only in conjunction with a valid photo ID. The purchase of a season ticket does not give rise to any claims with regard to the daily opening of the Zoo during the period of validity of the pass.
7. The season ticket is the property of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
8. Any misuse (e.g. transfer of the ticket to other persons) or attempted fraud (ID and person do not match) will lead to the immediate confiscation of the ticket. In addition, Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG reserves the right to press criminal charges. A refund of the purchase price will not be granted.
9. Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG assumes no liability in the event the pass is lost.
10. Liability in the event of closure of the Zoo/Aquarium for special reasons is also excluded.
11. The purchase of an admission ticket does not confer any entitlement to a specific performance (for example, the presentation of particular animal species, access to particular animal enclosures or pavilions or the use of particular attractions). We reserve the right to restrict access to certain areas of the Zoo out of consideration for our animals or for other reasons (e.g. maintenance and construction work, weather conditions, special events, etc.).
12. The reselling and commercial use of admission tickets are prohibited. Admission tickets purchased illegally or used fraudulently are invalid. The persons involved will be excluded from entering the Zoo in the future. We reserve the right to press criminal charges and to seek further damages.
1. Do not leave the visitor paths and keep out of any cordoned-off areas, do not climb any fences or ditches or enter any landscaped areas.
2. Please take note of any warning notices and signs for your own safety!
3. Entering the animal enclosures is forbidden!
4. Visits to any installations of the Zoo, such as feed preparation areas, utility rooms, animal care areas etc. are prohibited to visitors or any persons not employed by the Zoo. Violations will be punished to the extent permitted by law.
5. Do not place your children on any enclosure walls!
6. Guests are not permitted to stay in the Zoo after dark.
7. The carrying of weapons (guns, knives, chains, knuckledusters etc.) on the premises of the Zoo is not permitted.
8. Barbecues and other open fires are not permitted. Fire regulations on the Zoo premises must be strictly observed. No inflammable, explosive, toxic or corrosive objects may be brought onto the premises.
9. The supervision staff is entitled to examine individuals - also using technical aids - to determine whether they represent a security risk on the grounds of alcohol and drug use or the carrying of weapons or dangerous or flammable items. The examination also extends to any objects carried. Persons who are visibly under the influence of alcohol or drugs or otherwise pose a security risk will be denied access to the premises or, as the case may be, required to leave the premises. The same applies to persons who have been banned from entering the premises. There is no entitlement to reimbursement of the admission fee.
10. Any offence on the Zoo premises will result in the pressing of criminal charges by the Board of Directors of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
USE OF PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT
1. Age restrictions and instructions for use must be observed when using playground equipment, playgrounds and similar facilities.
2. Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG assumes no liability for damage caused by non-compliance or any other improper use, with the exception of cases of damage caused by defective instructions for use or if the installation in question is not in a proper condition.
CONSIDERATION OF OTHERS AND PUBLIC ORDER AT THE ZOO
The riding of bikes and the use of roller skates, inline skates, skate boards, scooters, Segways, motor vehicles, etc. is not permitted for your own safety. Equally prohibited is the use of balls, frisbees and balloons.
1. Smoking is prohibited in all the animal enclosures and pavilions and other designated locations.
2. Please help us keep our Zoo clean - use the waste bins provided and do not foul the visitor toilets by throwing away or leaving sanitary articles on the floor. Please use only the waste bins provided.
3. You are not permitted to bring with you or consume alcoholic beverages.
4. Alcoholic beverages purchased at the Zoo may only be consumed in the zones belonging to the respective restaurants. You are not permitted to take drinks into the Zoo.
5. It is forbidden to write, paint or put up posters on structural installations or other installations or pathways.
6. Defecation outside the toilets is prohibited.
7. The browsing of waste bins and/or the collection of returnable bottles is strictly prohibited.
NOTIFICATION OF DAMAGE AND LOSS OF ITEMS
1. All facilities at the Zoo are carefully maintained and monitored. However, should they incur damage through no fault of your own, please report the damage before leaving the Zoo premises at our information point or to the cashiers at the entrances and exits.
2. Please also report any incident if there is reason to believe that it may give rise to consequential damage.
3. Any items of lost property are to be handed in at the tills. If you have lost an item, you can ask at the tills whether it has been handed in. Unclaimed lost property will be forwarded to the lost property office of the State of Berlin.
1. The use of the Zoo/Aquarium, including its traffic routes, is at your own risk.
2. With the exception of cases of a breach of fundamental contractual obligations, Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG is liable for damages only if and insofar as it, its legal representatives, officers or other vicarious agents are culpably responsible on the grounds of intent or gross negligence. In the event of a violation of essential contractual obligations, Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG is liable for any culpable behaviour on the part of its legal representatives, officers or other vicarious agents. Essential contractual obligations are those whose fulfilment characterises the contract and on whose fulfilment the visitor may reasonably be expected to rely
3. In the event of damage to property and pecuniary loss on the grounds of negligence, Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG and its vicarious agents will be liable only in the event of a breach of essential contractual obligations, where the amount of liability will be limited to the foreseeable damage typical of this kind of contract at the point of conclusion of the contract.
4. . The above-mentioned exclusion of liability will not apply in the event of the acceptance of express guarantees by Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG and to damage resulting from injury to life, limb or health and in the case of mandatory legal regulations.
5. Visitors are liable for damage arising from the failure to comply with this code of conduct or any other intentional or grossly negligent behaviour on their part or that of persons under their supervision (children, persons under supervision, etc.).
6. Entry to and stays on the premises are prohibited outside opening hours, with the exception of approved events and tours. The Zoo is not liable for accidents which occur outside opening hours and periods of tacit approval. In the event of violations, the Board reserves the right to press charges for trespass.
7. Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG is not liable for damage suffered by visitors that results from violations of this code of conduct.
TAKING PETS TO THE ZOO
Visitors are not permitted to bring animals into the Zoo and the Aquarium. Guide dogs are exempt with appropriate documentary evidence.
CONTACT WITH OUR ANIMALS
1. We take great care to give our animals food that meets their needs. In order to preserve the health of our animals, animal feeding in the zoo is banned. At some enclosures where you can purchase special feed at feed vending machines for the animals living there, it is permitted to feed the animals, however, only with the feed provided.
2. Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG reserves the right to eject persons who commit a breach of the feeding ban from the Zoo and to bar them from returning.
3. Many plants are toxic to certain animals — so please do not feed plants to them!
4. Animals also need peace and quiet. Visitors should therefore not try to attract the attention of the animals by shouting at them, knocking on windows, etc. Furthermore, they should not hold sticks or umbrellas within reach of the animals. or use radios and other sound generating equipment.
5. Visitors are not permitted to pet or to touch our animals – except the animals from our petting zoo.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND FILMING
1. Sound, film, photographic and video recordings may only be made for private purposes.
2. Industrial and commercial recordings are permitted only with the prior consent of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
3. Flash photography is banned in some enclosures and pavilions - please respect this.
ADVERTISING, SALES AND ACQUISITIONS
1. Advertising, the non-gratuitous or gratuitous offering of goods and services, and the conducting of opinion polls or censuses on the Zoo premises are permitted only with the prior written consent of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
2. The display or handing out of information material of any kind whatsoever without the prior written consent of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG is also prohibited.
3. The collection of donations, music performances, the acquisition of new members for associations or customers and political events are prohibited without the prior written consent of Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG.
Should any provision of this code of conduct be invalid, the validity of the remaining provisions shall remain unaffected thereby. To the extent permissible by law, the invalid provisions will be replaced by valid provisions that approximate as closely as possible the original intent of the invalid provisions. The same applies to any omissions from the contract.
We wish you a pleasant and memorable stay in the Zoological Garden of Berlin.
Dr. Andreas Knieriem
Board of Directors
Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG
Delivery and payment conditions for the online store
in accordance with §§ 312b et seqq. BGB
§ 1. Area of application and provider
1.1 These terms and conditions apply to the purchase of online entrance tickets and other items ('goods') at the Zoologischer Garten Berlin AG, Am Hardenbergplatz 8, 10787 Berlin, entered in the commercial register of the Charlottenburg local court (HRB 4306) ('Zoo Berlin'), via the Internet portal www.zoo-berlin.de or www.aquarium-berlin.de. Any terms and conditions of a customer are not part of the contract, even if Zoo Berlin has not explicitly objected to them.
1.2 The range of products on the websites www.zoo-berlin.de or www.aquarium-berlin.de is directed solely at consumers as defined in § 13 of the German Civil Code (BGB) with a residence and a delivery address in the Federal Republic of Germany (hereinafter referred to as the 'customer'). Consumers are individuals, in so far as the goods ordered by them cannot be attributed to either commercial nor independent professional activity.
Please contact Zoo Berlin for business purposes using the following phone number: 030/25 401 224.
1.3 Zoo Berlin does not sell any products to minors.
§ 2. Order as contractual offer
2.1 The ordering of goods and online entrance tickets to the Zoo Berlin by clicking on 'complete order' by the customer constitutes an offer to the Zoo Berlin to conclude a contract.
2.2 The customer will be shown all the order data input after entry and before the order is finally submitted. As a result, they can check everything for any errors.
2.3 The Zoo Berlin confirms the receipt of the offer by email in accordance with § 2.1 ('order acknowledgment'). The order acknowledgment does not constitute an acceptance of the customer's offer to conclude a purchase contract for goods or online entrance tickets.
§ 3. Conclusion of the contract when goods are ordered
3.1 The acceptance of the offer by the Zoo Berlin when goods are ordered follows when the Zoo Berlin confirms the order to the customer in the form of a written note; this can also be made by a 'shipping confirmation' ('shipping confirmation') via email. The contract comes into effect with this acceptance.
§ 4. Conclusion of the contract when online tickets are ordered (daily tickets)
4.1 The acceptance of the offer by Zoo Berlin is made when online tickets are ordered by the customer and they then avail themselves of the opportunity of downloading and printing the relevant online tickets in the form of a PDF after submission of their order.
4.2 The risk that the customer is unable to download or print their online tickets due to technical reasons is borne by the customer, in so far as this is not attributable to the Zoo Berlin.
4.3 Online tickets are valid for the day according to the imprint for regular admission into the Zoo Berlin. You are not entitled to entry into any special events.
4.4 You can only order a maximum of ten (10) online tickets per card type and per order on one day.
§ 5. Prices and shipping costs
5.1 The marked price is the final price incl. the statutory VAT. The amount that is shown at the time of the binding order is valid. A shipping fee additionally applies when ordering goods, which varies depending on the shipping method, the size and weight of the goods ordered as well as the location of delivery. The shipping costs vary depending on whether the location to which the goods are shipped is
(a) in Germany
(b) outside of Germany, but within the EU or
(c) outside the EU.
The total shipping cost will be displayed in the shopping cart.
5.2 The regular costs for return shipment, which arise in the event of a return of the goods in the case of exercising the right of cancellation, are borne by Zoo Berlin.
§ 6. Payment
6.1 Payment for online tickets and goods (plus. shipping costs) is carried out immediately after completing the ordering process by means of the customer's credit card (Visa, MasterCard).
6.2 By specifying the credit card number when ordering, Zoo Berlin then notifies the banking institute to collect the purchase price from the credit card account specified by the customer at the time of the order for payment processing.
6.3 If the customer is in default of payment, then Zoo Berlin is entitled to demand interest amounting to 5 percentage points above the base interest rate announced at the time of contract conclusion p.a. Zoo Berlin is entitled to insist on a higher amount should there be any evidence of higher damages caused by default.
6.4 The customer shall have the right to offset this only if counterclaims have been legally established or are uncontested by Zoo Berlin.
6.5 The customer is only entitled to exercise a right of retention in so far as their counterclaim is based on the same contractual relationship.
§ 7. Delivery of ordered goods
7.1 The delivery of goods is made to the delivery address specified by the customer.
7.2 Goods are generally – provided that they are in-stock at the warehouse – delivered within five (5) working days after ordering and receipt of payment. The specification of delivery deadlines in the order acknowledgment is non-binding.
7.3 The delivery obligation shall not apply in cases where Zoo Berlin does not receive proper or punctual delivery and we are not responsible for the unavailability. The customer will be immediately notified by email in the case of unavailability and any payment of the purchase price made shall be reimbursed immediately.
7.4 Should force majeure render delivery permanently impossible, Zoo Berlin is excluded from any performance obligation. Any payment of the purchase price made shall be reimbursed by Zoo Berlin without delay.
7.5 Zoo Berlin may refuse to perform in so far as performance requires expenditure, which is not attributable to Zoo Berlin, which, having regard to the content of the purchase contract and the principle of good faith, taking into account the interests of the customer, would be disproportionate to the fulfilment of the purchase contract. The customer will be informed immediately by Zoo Berlin in such a case. Any possible payment of the purchase price made shall be reimbursed by Zoo Berlin without delay.
7.6 If the delivery of the products fails after three delivery attempts for reasons for which the customer is responsible, then Zoo Berlin is entitled to withdraw from the contract. Zoo Berlin shall refund any purchase price paid in such a case.
§ 8. Right of cancellation
8.1 The customer can cancel the purchase contract for goods and online entrance tickets within two weeks without giving any reason. The return period begins at the earliest upon receipt of the goods or the date of issue of the tickets and the instruction concerning the right of cancellation in writing.
8.2 In the case of goods, the cancellation takes place when the goods are sent back or a declaration is made in writing. It is sufficient to send the goods back in good time or give a declaration of cancellation to Zoo Berlin so as to comply with the deadline according to § 8.1.
8.3 The customer has to bear the cost of return shipping if the delivered goods correspond to those ordered and if the price of the goods to be returned does not exceed 40 euros or, in the case of a more expensive item, they have not fulfilled their part of the agreement or made a contractually agreed part payment at the point of the cancellation. Otherwise return shipment is at no extra cost to the customer. The return is at the risk of Zoo Berlin in any case.
8.4 A right of cancellation on the purchase of CDs, DVDs and video cassettes shall not apply if these products were unsealed by the customer.
8.5 The purchase of online tickets may be cancelled in the following ways:
(a) by email, fax or letter to the customer service address specified in the cancellation terms stating the transaction number or
(b) by returning the ticket to the management of Zoo Berlin.
§ 9. Consequences of exercising the cancellation right
9.1 If the customer exercises their right of cancellation, the benefits received by both parties must be returned and possible benefits gained (e.g. service benefits) to be surrendered.
9.2 When cancelling online entrance tickets according to § 8.5, then the tickets shall be invalidated. Zoo Berlin indicates that they can tell whether a particular online ticket has already been used by scanning the barcode of the online ticket upon entry. If the customer returns a ticket that has already been used, then any cancellation is excluded.
9.3 Zoo Berlin will reimburse the purchase price promptly after receipt of the returned goods or the invalidation of the online entrance tickets, subject to the following provisions.
9.4 Should there be any deterioration in the returned goods, then the customer must pay compensation for lost value in accordance with the legal regulation in § 357 paragraph 3 clause 3 of the BGB, unless this is solely due to examination of the goods. A loss in value is not simply considered in the product itself, but also all other factors that relate to the supply and resale are taken into account. If the customer wants to avoid paying any compensation for the deterioration of the goods, then they are hereby requested, especially in their own interests, to
(a) eliminate visible signs of use before returning the goods,
(b) also return the accessories included and the accompanying documentation, and
(c) use the undamaged original packaging for the return dispatch if possible, even if they may be damaged due to opening for functional testing purposes. The customer is not obliged to do so, but by undertaking the return shipment in the original packaging, you rule out Zoo Berlin having any claims for compensation for the missing original packaging.
9.5 Should the customer opt for an unnecessarily expensive form of shipment, then they may be obliged to pay Zoo Berlin for the increased costs compared to the most cost-effective method of shipment.
9.6 The compensation for lost value as well as the for use up to this time, which is payable by the customer, is offset against the purchase price to be reimbursed.
§ 10. Warranty
10.1 A product that is already defective upon delivery (warranty case) will be replaced by Zoo Berlin with a defect-free or professionally repaired product (subsequent fulfilment) at the cost of Zoo Berlin, depending on the customer's wishes. The customer is advised that no warranty case arises if the product matches the agreed quality upon dispatch by Zoo Berlin (transfer of risk). There is no right of warranty in the following specific cases:
(a) with damages that are caused due to misuse or improper use by the customer;
(b) with damages that have occurred in the customer's possession having been caused by exposure to harmful external influences (particularly extreme temperatures, humidity, unusual physical or electrical demands, voltage fluctuations, static electricity, lightning, fire).
10.2 If the type of subsequent fulfillment requested by the customer (replacement delivery or repair) requires an expense, which, in consideration of the product price and taking into account the content of the contract and good faith, is in major disproportion to the customer's interest in the performance – whereby, in particular, the value of the product purchased without defects, the significance of the defect and the question are to be considered as to whether another type of subsequent fulfillment may be implemented without inflicting a substantial disadvantage towards the customer – the customer's claim is restricted to the other form of subsequent fulfillment. The right of Zoo Berlin to also refuse this other form of subsequent fulfilment under the above-mentioned prerequisite, remains unaffected.
10.3 The customer is obliged to send off the product to Zoo Berlin stating the order number, at the expense of Zoo Berlin, both in the case of repair and also in the case of replacement delivery.
10.4 The customer can choose to cancel the contract or reduce the purchase price if the repair or replacement delivery, within a reasonable amount of time, has failed to meet the condition of the product stated in the contract.
§ 11. Limitation period
The statutory warranty of Zoo Berlin ends two (2) years from when the goods are delivered to the customer.
§ 12. Liability for damages
12.1 In the case of slight negligence, Zoo Berlin is only liable for the violation of contractual obligations and is limited to foreseeable damage. This limitation does not apply in case of damage to life, body and health. Zoo Berlin is not liable for other damage or losses caused by a defect in the purchase object through other minor negligence.
12.2 Irrespective of any fault on the part of Zoo Berlin, liability towards Zoo Berlin remains unaffected in the case of fraudulent concealment of the defect or from assuming a guarantee.
12.3 The manufacturer's warranty is a warranty from the manufacturer and does not constitute a warranty from Zoo Berlin.
12.4 The personal liability of legal representatives, agents and employees of Zoo Berlin, for where they have caused damages by slight negligence, is excluded.
§ 13. Use of data
13.1 With the agreement of the data protection declaration of Zoo Berlin during conclusion of the contract, the customer hereby declares their consent that Zoo Berlin stores, processes and uses the personal data that they have entered, to the extent that is required to execute the order.
§ 14. Other
14.1 All contracts concluded with Zoo Berlin as defined in § 1 shall be exclusively subject to the material law of the Federal Republic of Germany excluding the application of the UN purchase act.
As of: 2 August 2007